I love the kitchen section of TJ Max. The store by my house carries a hefty selection of brand-name kitchen items at bargain prices. My most recent purchase was a set of Tovolo Popsicle Molds, which I picked up for $5.
I’ve made two types of popsicles in the last few weeks and both have been great! They are so refreshing to have as dessert and not as heavy as ice cream. I have seen tons of recipes online that call for added sugar or a simple syrup, but I found these to be fantastic without either. My healthy-phobic husband even gobbled them up and requested I make more immediately.
I used almond milk in the first batch of popsicles and orange juice in the second batch. The almond milk gave the popsicles a slightly creamier consistency than the orange juice, but the consistency was not as creamy as yogurt would have been.
Makes 6 pops
- Approximately 20 strawberries
- 1-2 bananas
- 1 tablespoon honey (Optional. I like a subtle hint of honey, but you can omit this if you are not a honey lover or substitute with agave)
- 1 cup orange juice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Taste and add more fruit as desired. More banana if you want a more bananay flavor, more strawberries if you want more of a berry flavor.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for 4-6 hours.
You don’t have to have fancy popsicle molds to make homemade popsicles. Popsicle sticks are cheap and you can get creative with molds. You can use Dixie cups, ice-cube trays, empty yogurt containers, or mini muffin tins to name a few.
These work out to be just under 100 calories each so they are perfect for a late-night snack when you are craving something sweet. I also thought of adding a scoop or two of protein powder to the mix and having them as an before/after workout snack.
Some other combinations I am going to try are:
- Blackberry, blueberry, raspberry
- Pineapple, almond milk, and coconut
- Peanut butter, honey, chocolate
These are can also be adapted to fit almost any dietary need. They can be vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, dairy-free… You really can’t mess up a popsicle so have fun playing around with the unlimited combinations!