Hasselback Sweet Potatoes offer a unique twist to a traditional baked potato. They were invented by a Swedish chef and are very easy to replicate. Their elegant presentation is perfect for a Thanksgiving side dish, family dinner, or date night in.
So… the other day I was scrolling through my Instagram feed when I came across this recipe from Jenn Greenberg and knew I had to try it immediately. The trouble was, I only had sweet potatoes in the house, but I decided to give it a whirl anyway. This might just be my new favorite way to eat sweet potatoes.
After a little Google research, I found that Hasselback potatoes are the Swedish way of preparing baked potatoes and that their name is derived from the hotel that invented the dish, the Hasselbacken hotel in Stockholm.
Don’t be fooled by the intricate design these potatoes have. As long as you have a sharp knife, the prep is quick and easy. It took me about 15 minutes to prep and season three of these bad boys. In fact, I was able to prep them faster than it took my oven to heat to 425˚.
To make Hasselback sweet potatoes, you make thin slices all along the potato, drizzle them with olive oil, season and bake in a 425˚ oven for about an hour. As the potato bakes, the skin crisps and the inside roasts to a soft, buttery consistency. The oven does most of the work and the heat causes the slices to spread slightly making for a fancy presentation.
The best part is that these can be made savory or sweet depending on your taste. I seasoned these with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but I think they would be delicious seasoned with cinnamon and sugar. You could also add a hint of sweetness by using coconut oil in place of olive oil or drizzle the top with a little honey or balsamic vinegar before serving.
I know Thanksgiving is still a ways away, but I think this would be an awesome side dish to wow your guests and impress them with your knife skills. Seriously though… this takes little to no knife skills, but it looks super fancy, right?
- 4 Sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - 1 tablespoon per potato
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425˚.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes.
- Using a sharp knife, make 1/8" slices along the potato being careful not to slice all the way through.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the potato and use your fingers to gently separate the slices.
- Season liberally with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bake on the middle rack of your oven for 45-60 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the size of your sweet potato and temperature of your oven.
- You can make these sweet by using melted butter and seasoning with cinnamon and sugar. I think they would also be outstanding drizzled with a little honey or balsamic vinegar.