I made these on a whim for lunch yesterday and had to share them with you! They were inspired by this post from Peas & Crayons. I used slightly different ingredients and served mine raw, but I am dying to try the baked version she posted.
I’ve been on a zucchini kick lately because we managed to save one of our zucchini plants from the vine borer attack. Yay! We cut the root of the plant above the infected portion and stuck it in a bucket of water. In about 2 weeks, the plant grew a ton of new roots and we were able to replant it! The process seemed to be akin to regrowing green onions. It hasn’t sprouted any flowers yet, but I am hopeful it will make a comeback!
As for the recipe, the number of servings you get will depend on the size of your zucchini. Generally speaking, you should get about 10 individual cups out of a medium-large zucchini. This would make for a great healthy appetizer or a tasty mid-day snack. The recipe below has less than 300 calories. Can’t beat that!
Mediterranean Zucchini Cups
- 1 medium-large zucchini
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 small shallot
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 cup fat-free Feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Fresh basil
- Salt & pepper
- Slice zucchini into 1 1/2-inch rounds. Keep the skin on.
- Using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out the middle of the zucchini to make a cup.
- Dice tomato, cucumber, and shallot. In a small bowl, combine with feta and toss with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- Scoop mixture into zucchini cups and top with basil.